2/15/11

What is Missions?

When people think of missionaries they naturally think of preaching, teaching, and passing out tracks. Right? I would say yes. What if you are a missionary wife? We certainly can't preach...(although our husbands would probably disagree). ;) Our ministry is first in our home to our children who did not ask to be missionaries. They are along for the ride and need to feel like life is somewhat normal in their home.(Don't get me wrong, I am not feeling sorry for my kids living on the mission field.) It is actually a wonderful opportunity for them! :) For now homeschooling, getting to know my neighbors, and building relationships are all part of my ministry.

What else can women do to minister on the field? Ministry can also include, but not be limited to: baking cookies for your neighbor on special days, crafting with ladies in your church, trying your best to use as much of the language you know to speak to your neighbor etc. Sometimes people need to friendly smile and kind words to go along with the tract you give them. We will never know what a person is dealing with until we make the effort. The truth is that people are hurting everywhere and we may be the only Jesus they see.

Can we do more than we are already doing... certainly. Do so carefully and don't forget about the ministry God has given you right at Home. I'm thinking of ways even now to help my children become part of the team in reaching Croatia for Christ. Hopefully I will share about our efforts later.

No comments: